Hizb militant killed in Anantnag gunfight: Police

Srinagar: A militant, involved in a spate of killings including of a police inspector and three BJP workers and other attacks, was shot dead in an encounter at Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag on Friday, after he refused to surrender and instead opened fire at the security forces, police officials said.

Based on a specific input regarding the presence of a militant in Mominhall Aarwani village of Bijbehara area in Anantnag, a joint Cordon and Search Operation was launched by the police, the Army’s 1st Rashtriya Rifles and Central Reserve Police Force, police said in a statement.

“During the search operation, as the presence of the trapped militant got ascertained, he was given ample opportunities to surrender. However, he refused to surrender and instead fired indiscriminately upon the joint search party which retaliated, leading to an encounter,” police added.

In the ensuing encounter, the militant identified as Shahzad Ahmad Seh, a resident of Sehpora in Kulgam, and active since September last year, was killed and his body was retrieved from the site.

“As per police records, the killed militant was a categorised militant linked with Hizbul Mujahideen and was part of groups involved in several cases. He was involved in the killing of J&K Police Inspector, Mohammad Ashraf Bhat of Chandpora, Kanelwan, in Anantnag at his residence on October 19, 2020, three BJP workers at YK-Pora in Kulgam on October 29, 2020, as well as a BJP Sarpanch and his wife at Lal Chowk in Anantnag on August 9 this year.”

“Besides, the militant was involved in an attack on District Development Council candidate Anees-ul-Islam Ganie at Sagam Kokernag on December 4, 2020, and snatching a weapon from a police constable at Shamispora crossing in Khudwani area of Kulgam on July 25, 2021. Moreover, he was involved in various grenade lobbing incidents and attacks on security establishments in Anantnag and Kulgam areas,” police said.

Incriminating material, arms and ammunition, including an AK-47 rifle, two AK magazines, 40 AK rounds and a grenade were recovered from his possession. All the recovered material has been taken into case records for further investigation.

Related Articles