Top LeT commander among two Pak militants killed in Srinagar

Srinagar:  A top commander of Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) was among two militants killed in an encounter which ensued during a Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) on Monday afternoon in Srinagar outskirts, a police spokesman said on Tuesday morning.
Giving details about the incident, he said there was a specific information about militant plan to carry out attack on highway. However, keeping in view the seriousness of the input, Jammu and Kashmir police and CRPF established joint nakas at several places along the highway.
However, at Parimpora naka a vehicle was stopped and those travelling in the vehicle were asked their identity, he said, adding that one person sitting at the back seat tried to open his bag and took out a grenade.

The naka party swiftly swung into action and grabbed the person sitting at the back seat, the spokesperson said adding that both driver and the person who tried to took out a grenade from his bag were arrested. During their questioning in police station Parimpora, one of them was identified as LeT top commander Nadeem Abrar, who was put to joint interrogation by the police, CRPF and Army.

He said one pistol and hand grenades were recovered from his possession. He further added that on sustained interrogation, Abrar disclosed that he had kept his AK-47 rifle in a house located at Maloora, about a km from there.

He said he was taken to that house to recover the weapon after laying proper cordon of suspected house.

However, when the search party was entering the house to recover the weapon, one of his associate, a Pakistani militant inside the house, about whom Abrar did not said anything, opened fire in which three CRPF personnel were injured. Abrar accompanying the search party was also hit by the bullet.

The injured SF personnel were evacuated, he said, adding other security forces took position and called for reinforcement. The cordon of target house was strengthened by component of JKP, CRPF & Army and the fire was further retaliated, he said.

In the ensuing gun fire foreign militant who fired from inside the house ‘got neutralised and Abrar also got killed’. Two AK-47 rifles along with ammunitions were recovered from the site.

He said Abrar was involved in several killings of SFs along with other militants.

Earlier, during the day on Monday Inspector General of Police (IGP) Vijay Kumar had said LeT top commander Nadeem Abrar involved in several killing was arrested. He said it was a great success.
IGP, in his yesterday’s tweet, said: “Top LeT commander Nadeem Abrar #arrested. He was involved in several #killings. Big success for us: IGP Kashmir @JmuKmrPolice.”

Local resident Reyaz Ahmad told UNI that operation has been completed and security forces had left the area. A house was completely damaged, he added.

Related Articles