By: Gul Owais
Srinagar: Locals with the active support of the government have finally succeeded in lifting the garbage from the once famed Khushal Sar Lake here in Srinagar and have managed to lift over 1000 trucks of trash from the water body since February 21 this year.
Manzoor Ahmad Wangnoo a noted Kashmiri businessman and Chairman of Nigeen Lake Conservation Organization (NLCO), who is leading the movement to clean the water body said that in the last two months, they have completed almost 85 per cent of the cleaning process. “Over 1000 trucks of trash have been removed so far from the once famed lake,” he added.
“The piles of garbage that could be seen removed is enough to point out that how much work has been completed so far,” he said, adding that in the last two months, people have got much more aware and realization has finally dawned among them.
“Until and unless we will not cooperate the water bodies can never be preserved,” he said, adding that the Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC), which is actively helping them in this initiative, has been lifting nearly 15-20 trucks of trash everyday from the spot.
“The lake has finally started breathing again and 85 per cent of the work has got completed. It is hoped that the rest 15 percent of the work will be completed within next one month,” Wangnoo said.
Meanwhile, Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC), Syed Abdul Haneif Balkhi while talking to Precious Kashmir about the movement, appreciated the efforts and said that such efforts will help in restoring the glory and beauty of the once famed lake.
Dr Balkhi said the Lake is a lifeline for two other Lakes, which are connected with it, but due to continuous disposal of waste items and garbage in the lake it has become polluted and he has directed for a speedy cleanliness efforts into it and very soon it will look like a beautiful lake.
“There is a need to support this initiative. We can even contribute by not throwing the garbage into the water bodies,” he said, adding that once the water bodies are clean, the atmosphere will be fine obviously.