80-year-old lady dies at GMC Anantnag, family alleges medical negligence


Principal GMC refutes allegations, says tried level best to save her

Jahangeer Ganaie

Srinagar, Jan 28: An 80-year-old lady from Yaripora hamlet of Kulgam district died at Government Medical College Anantnag on Friday, while the family alleges medical negligence for her death.

Deceased’s family members and relatives protested outside the hospital and demanded an investigation in this regard.

Family members said that Hajra Banoo resident of Kathpora Yaripora was referred to GMC Anantnag on Friday morning from SDH Yaripora.

“Since 7 am we were in the emergency ward as the blood pressure of the patient was down and oxygen level was below 60. Doctors checked her when she was brought to hospital but then no attention was given towards her,” they said.

“As condition of the patient was going from bad to worse, we requested doctors to shift her to the ICU ward where nine beds were lying vacant but we were told that they have received calls from some patients and beds are for them,” they alleged. “Wasn’t it their duty first to save the patient who was before them or is it just an approach which works. Where will poor people go?”

The family alleged that they were kept in the emergency ward like flock of sheep amid Covid-19 and despite repeated requests to the concerned authorities they were not allowed to take her to the ICU ward despite having beds vacant.

“We also requested them to refer our patient, to provide medicines on golden card but they didn’t listen,” they said, adding that the lady died of medical negligence and authorities must investigate the matter.

Meanwhile, GMC Anantnag Dr Tariq Qureshi while refuting the allegations said that the 80 year old lady was checked by doctors several times and was put on oxygen as well.

“The doctors tried to save the elderly patient who was having multiple underlying problems.  The family members are lying. I personally went before them and showed them that the doctor has seen the patient four times and put on oxygen as well besides given medicine,” he said.

“Family has even agreed to pay for the damage they did in the ward and requested us doesn’t lodge an FIR against them,” Qureshi said. (KNO)

Related Articles