New Delhi: In a major development, India and China have carried out disengagement in the Gogra area of Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh sector, marking yet another breakthrough nearly 6 months after a similar process was completed in Pangong Lake area.
The troops of India and China have moved back their troops from the eyeball-to-eyeball situation in which they were since May last year.
According to a statement issued by the Defence Ministry, the disengagement process in Gogra area was carried out on August 4 and 5, as per an agreement reached at a meeting of the Corps Commanders at Chushul Moldo Meeting Point in Eastern Ladakh on July 31.
After disengagement in Gogra area, such a process now remains to be carried out in Depsang and Hot Spring friction points. ‘As an outcome of the meeting, both sides agreed on disengagement in the area of Gogra,’ it said.
‘As per the agreement, both sides have ceased forward deployments in this area in a phased, coordinated and verified manner.’
All temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created in the area by both sides have been dismantled and mutually verified. The landform in the area has been restored by both sides to pre-stand off period, the press release said.
This agreement ensures that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides, and that there is no unilateral change in status quo.
‘With this one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved. Both sides have expressed their commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector,’ it said.
‘The Indian Army along with ITBP is totally committed to ensure the sovereignty of the nation and maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the Western Sector,’ the release said.
The two side had a ‘candid and in-depth exchange of views’ on resolution of remaining areas related to disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of India-China border areas. (UNI)