New Delhi, June 10: Four days after talks between top military commanders, India and China on Wednesday held another level of talks between Major General-level officers to find a resolution to the ongoing border dispute in eastern Ladakh.
The talks were held opposite Chushul in Ladakh, sources said.
Indian and Chinese troops have been engaged in a bitter face-off in eastern Ladakh along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) for over a month.
Earlier on June 6, the Indian delegation led by Lt General Harinder Singh, the General Officer Commanding of Leh-based 14 Corps, and Commander of the Tibet Military District Maj Gen Liu Lin held the extensive meeting in Maldo on the Chinese side of the LAC in eastern Ladakh that lasted for hours.
Sources on Tuesday had said that more meetings will take place in the coming days at divisional and brigade commander level to resolve the LAC standoff. The result of the June 6 talks was seen after Chinese troops moved back by about 2.5 kilometres along the LAC, government sources in New Delhi said. According to sources, troops and vehicles moved back by about 2.5 Kms by Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) in Galwan Area, Patrolling Point 15 and Hot Springs area. India has also moved some troops back, they said.
Sources confirmed that some disengagement had happened before June 6 talks between top military officials while some took place afterwards.
The India-China border dispute covers the 3,488-km-long LAC and the two nuclear-armed neighbours established the highest level of mechanism to deal with border disputes following 73-day stand-off in Doklam tri-junction in 2017.