Rome: The coronavirus pandemic had claimed 6,077 lives in locked down Italy by Monday, with the cumulative number of confirmed cases reaching 63,927, according to new figures released by the Civil Protection Department.
The death toll had increased by 601 from 5,476 recorded by Sunday, Civil Protection Chief Angelo Borrelli told a late afternoon press conference.
The number of recoveries had also increased, with 408 more people cured by Monday, reaching a total of 7,432.
Some 3,780 new active coronavirus infections were registered on Monday, bringing the total active cases to 50,418 since the pandemic first broke out in the northern regions of the country on Feb. 21.
Borelli, who also serves as extraordinary commissioner in this emergency, explained that 68 people — 28 of them COVID-19 patients — have so far been moved from Lombardy to other hospitals across the country in order to provide some relief to the most affected region.
“Germany has also taken in two patients, and it is ready to accommodate a total of eight,” Borrelli told reporters.
“I also want to highlight the solidarity showed by several other countries, which are helping us in this emergency, and especially the Russian Federation, the People’s Republic of China, France, and Germany, all of which have provided staff and means against the epidemic,” he stressed.
Among the most affected regions were Lombardy (currently counting 18,910 active cases), Emilia Romagna (7,220), Veneto (4,986), Piedmont (4,529), Marche (2,358) and Tuscany (2,301), Borelli said.