JK vulnerable to deluge: Floods declared nine times since 2014

JK vulnerable to deluge: Floods declared nine times since 2014

Ishtyaq Ahmad

Srinagar, Jul 3: Indicating how Jammu and Kashmir is vulnerable to floods, at least floods were declared or water level rose above danger mark nine times for last five years in the state.
Jammu and Kashmir is vulnerable to floods. Few hours of rain are enough to create a flood scare in the state.
Despite that government has failed to take any measures for last several years to prevent floods.
As per official figures, the Irrigation and Flood Control Department, the authorities have declared floods at least nine times since 2014.
As per the figures, the floods hit the state in September 2014. The water level also increased above danger mark or created flood like situation in March 2015, April 2015, June 2015, July 2015, September 2015, April 2017, June 2018, and June 2019.
The divisional administration of Kashmir has been asked to remain on alert to deal with any eventuality during the month of July.
As per minutes of the meeting documents, Divisional Commissioner was informed that the administration has to be on high alert to meet the challenges arising out of the “adverse weather conditions, in order to prevent recurrence of the situation that was witnessed in September, 2014 floods”.
“The chair reiterated that a mock drill /exercise in this regard needs to be done and there shroud be no let off by any officer in addressing this situation,” the document reads.
The water level rises even by moderate downpour even despite the government made tall claims to prevent such disasters in the future. However, the government’s announcements have been confined to papers only.
The Union Ministry of Water Resources in December 2014 asked the state government for framing of the detailed project report for the 80-km Dogripora flood channel to be constructed from Awantipora in south Kashmir to Wular Lake in north Kashmir’s Bandipora district.
Under this mega project, a Rs 18,000 crore flood channel was to be created to carry the surplus flood discharge of Jhelum.
“However, nothing has been done in this regard so far. Even the government has failed to frame the detailed project report,” a top source in Irrigation and Flood Control Department told KNS.
In July 2015, the first-ever disaster management plan was approved by the cabinet headed by the then chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed. However, the official said the plan is yet to be implemented.
After 2014 deluge, the government had announced that dredging of river Jhelum would be completed by December 2016 to prevent floods in future.
The drudging of Jhelum was to be carried out in two phases in order to increase its carrying capacity. (KNS)