Authorities seize records from MC Anantnag amid allegations of ‘illegal building permissions’

Srinagar, May 8: Amid accusations of granting ‘ illegal’ building permissions , authorities have seized records in the Municipal council Anantnag and directed the council to stop granting permissions ‘manually’ with immediate effect .
Sources in the ULB department said that many complaints had been pouring-in, alleging, that the authorities at Municipal council Anantnag were granting building permissions without following the codal formalities.
They said a team of officers including Deputy Director ULB Kashmir, Chief Accounts Officer, Accounts Officer and superintendent visited the office and seized all records pertaining to Building permission from last six months.
Sources further alleged that thousands of building permissions have been granted in the council from last several months which need to be probed properly. They also said that the authorities’ in the council have been hell bent to ‘loot’ the resources which needs an immediate intervention from higher authorities’.
When contacted Director Local Bodies Farooq Ahmad Rather denied having any such information but said, sending teams to the Municipalities was a routine process to check if everything was going according to norms. He however, refused to admit that a team had gone to Anantnag Council and seized records.
“I was in the secretariat; I have no knowledge about it.” Director ULB said. When asked to confirm if this was a ‘misinformation’ then, Rather said, “We send teams to the Committees on routine basis to check whether everything is fine.”
But the directors’ claims fell flat when the Executive Officer of the Municipal Council Anantnag Ghulam Mohi-ud -Din confirmed that about the seizure of the records and said he has been instructed by the Director ULB, Deputy Commissioner Anantnag, and Chief Town Planer to stop issuing building permissions manually.
“Yes, a team from Directorate of ULB comprising of Deputy Director, Chief Accounts Officer, Accounts Officer, Superintendent and others had arrived here on Tuesday and seized rerecords pertaining to building permission.” Mohi ud din said over phone, adding that he has also received a letter from Deputy Commissioner Anantnag and Chief Town Planer to issue permission only ‘online’ and stop the manual permissions henceforth.
When asked why the building permissions were issued without following the norms as was being alleged, the Executive Officer said, “I have nothing to do with the building permissions as the same was being done by the President of the council and the former EO. The team has sought information of last six months and i provided that, I am not concerned with it. (RNA)