Barring parts of Kupwara, life returns to normal in Kashmir

Srinagar, Apr 12: Life returned to normal on Friday in Kashmir valley after remaining crippled for a day due to a strike called by separatists on Thursday, when 34.61 per cent polling was recorded in the first phase of Lok Sabha election in Baramulla Parliamentary constituency.
However, business and other activities remained paralysed on Friday in parts of north Kashmir district of Kupwara, where a minor boy was killed in clashes with security forces after polling in Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency ended on Thursday evening.
A police official said there were no restrictions in any part of the valley though security forces remained deployed in strength in sensitive areas in Kupwara.
Shops and business establishments reopened and traffic on all routes was plying normally in summer capital, Srinagar, and other major towns and tehsil headquarters in the valley.
All the shops reopened early on Friday morning in the main business hubs in civil lines, including historic Lal Chowk, Gonikhan, Residency Road, Maulana Azad Road, Mahraj Bazar, Batamaloo, Iqbal Park, Dalgate, Regal Chowk and Budshah Chowk.
The Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) — comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik — had called for a general strike on Thursday against the parliamentary elections in Baramulla Lok Sabha seat.
Life returned to normal in south Kashmir districts of Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian as shops and business establishments reopened and traffic was plying normally on all roads since early Friday morning.
Business and other activities also resumed after remaining suspended on Thursday in twin central Kashmir districts of Ganderbal and Budgam.
Reports of normalcy were also received from other parts of the Valley, including Baramulla, Sopore, Bandipora and Pattan in north Kashmir, where security forces remained deployed in some sensitive areas to prevent any law and order problem.
However, even though there was no strike call given by separatists, business and other activities remained paralyzed in village Mandigam and some areas in Langate, Kupwara against the killing of a 13-year-old boy in security forces action on protestors on Thursday.
A 13-year-old Owais Mir was killed when security forces fired pellets to disperse demonstrators in Kupwara, who hit the streets after the polling to Baramulla Parliamentary Constituency concluded on Thursday evening.