Samjhauta blast case: Mehbooba, Omar anguished after judge says ‘best evidence withheld’

  • 1
    Share

Srinagar, Mar 29: Reacting to Special NIA court judge Jagdeep Singh’s assertion the “best evidence” was “withheld” by the prosecution and was not brought on record in the Samjhauta blast case, former J&K chief minister Omar Abdullah said this is the rule of law in today’s Modi-India.
Meanwhile, former J&K chief minister and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti said that people will ask about Samjhauta blast probe, next time India accuse Pakistan of “inaction” and “sham investigation” at any international forum.
“The prosecution buries the best evidence so that the accused in the #Samjhauta blast case can be let off. This is the rule of law in today’s Modi India,” Abdullah, who is the Vice President of National Conference (NC), wrote on micro-blogging site twitter.
“Next time we accuse Pakistan of “inaction” and “sham investigation” at any international forum, we run the risk of being asked, what about Samjhauta blast probe?” Mehbooba twitted in response to the comments made by the Special NIA court Judge.
Coming down heavily on the NIA, Panchkula special court judge Jagdeep Singh, who last week acquitted all four accused in the Samjhauta Express blasts case, said he was doing it “with deep pain and anguish” because a “dastardly act of violence” was going unpunished.
In a 160-page order which was released on Thursday – the special NIA court judge said the “best evidence” was “withheld” by the prosecution and was not brought on record.