Life returns to normal in Kashmir barring parts of south

Srinagar, Feb 14: Barring parts of south, life returned to normal on Thursday in the Kashmir valley, including summer capital, Srinagar, where a shutdown was observed on Wednesday on the first day of two day call by separatists on the issue of Article 35 A which is scheduled to come up for hearing in Supreme Court this week.
The strike call was given after it was reported that the Apex court will hear the case on Wednesday or Thursday. The Supreme Court is hearing a petition challenging Article 35 A of the Constitution.
However, the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) has withdrawn the strike call today after it was informed that the case did not figure in the list of SC, scheduled to be taken up today also.
Meanwhile, all gates of historic Jamia masjid, stronghold of moderate Hurriyat Conference (HC) chairman Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq, who were closed yesterday, are open on Thursday. Security forces deployed at Jamia market have been withdrawn and shops are doing normal busiess.
Road blocks and nakas established at several places in the down town and Shehar-e-Khas (SeK) have been removed. Shops and business establishments in the down town and SeK are open and traffic is plying normally on all routes. Work in government offices and banks besides tuition and coaching centres were working normally.
Life also returned to normal in the civil lines, including Gantaghar, historic Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of the city, and other main business centres. Traffic was plying on all routes and work in banks and government offices was normal.
Shops and other business establishments in the uptown and city outskirts were open and traffic was plying normally. Tuition and coaching centres were also functioning.
Similar reports were also received from central Kashmir districts of Badgam and Ganderbal with resumption of business and other activities .
Normalcy were also reported in this and other major towns and tehsil headquarters, a report from Baramulla said.
Barring some areas life returned to normal in south Kashmir, where six militants were killed in two different encounters in Kulgam and Pulwama during the past five days.