Two militants, Civilian killed in Kulgam gunfight

  • 4

One militant surrenders, say Police

Srinagar, Jun 24: Two militants including a Divisional Commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba and a local militant and a civilian were killed during an encounter in Chidder village of Qoimoh area in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district. Police said one militant who had joined militant ranks three months back was arrested alive.
Official sources said that on a tip off about the presence of militants in a village at Chanderbhan in south Kashmir district of Kulgam, Army, CRPF and Special Operation Group (SOG) of Jammu and Kashmir police launched a search operation on Sunday. However, when security forces were sealing the area, militants opened fire, they said adding security forces also retaliated ensuing in an encounter.
A police spokesman said this evening that pursuing credible leads about the presence of Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) militants in Chedar Ban area of Qaimoh in District Kulgam, a search was launched this afternoon by a joint team of security forces in the area.
As the joint patrol approached towards the suspected house, a group of militants hiding inside fired indiscriminately on the security forces to which forces retaliated cautiously leading to an encounter in the area.
In the encounter, the two militants hiding inside the house were successfully eliminated by the security forces. On the basis of the materials recovered it is understood that the killed militant is Shakoor Dar, the divisional commander of LeT while the second was a Pakistani known as Haider.
He said a local militant whose identity is being protected, surrendered at the encounter site before the authorities and security forces strictly followed SOP while conducting the operation. This militant is in the custody of police. Moreover in the encounter one civilian identified as Yawar Dar sustained injuries in cross firing and was evacuated to the hospital for medical treatment however he succumbed to his injuries.
Shakoor a resident of Sopat Tengpora was operating as divisional commander of LeT. Several cases were registered against Shakoor in different police stations of South Kashmir; FIR 02/2017, u/s 121A, RPC, 7/25 Arms Act at PS Devsar, FIR 260/2017, u/s 302 RPC, 7/27 Arms Act at PS Qazigund, FIR 275/2017 u/s 16, 18 ULA at PS Qazigund, FIR 306/2017 u/s 120B, 307 RPC, 7/25 Arms Act at PS Qazigund, FIR 307/2017 u/s 120B, 7/27 Arms Act, 13, 16, 18, 39 ULA at PS Qazigund. He was involved in a number of other civilian atrocities and attack on security establishments in the area.
Incriminating materials & huge quantity of ammunition were also seized from the site of encounter.
Police has registered a case in this regard and has initiated investigation in the instant matter.
A youth was killed and several others injured when security forces allegedly opened fire on demonstrators during an encounter at Kulgam on Sunday.
Official sources said people, mostly youths hit the streets ta Qaimoh in Kulgam where security forces had launched a Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) Sunday following tip off about the presence of militants. However, when the demonstrators were trying to move towards the area where CASO was going on, security forces burst teargas shells which had no impact. Later security forces opened fire in which several persons were injured. The injured were rushed to hospital where one of them identified as 27-year-old Abdul Rahman Dar, resident of Gassipora, was declared brought dead.