How the world reacted to Trump’s move against Iran

Tehran: As President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday he was pulling the US out of the seven-party Iran nuclear deal, global reaction was mixed. But on balance, there has been strong support for the deal agreed by his predecessor Barack Obama, and little support for Trump’s unilateral move.
Here is how the world reacted:
Iran
Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani said there’s a “short time” to negotiate with the countries remaining in the nuclear deal, warning his country could start enriching uranium more than ever in the coming weeks.
He spoke live on Iranian state television saying he would be sending Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif to countries remaining in the accord.
He said, “I have ordered Iran’s atomic organisation that whenever it is needed, we will start enriching uranium more than before.” He added Iran would start this “in the next weeks.”
Israel
In Jerusalem, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed the decision to withdraw from an international nuclear agreement with Iran, saying it had been a “recipe for disaster.”
France
France’s President Emmanuel Macron said on Twitter that “France, Germany, and the UK regret the US decision to leave the JCPOA. The nuclear non-proliferation regime is at stake.”
Germany
Germany would try to keep the 2015 Iran nuclear deal alive despite President Donald Trump’s announcement that he was pulling the United States out of the agreement, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Tuesday.
“We will try to keep alive this important agreement, which ensures the Middle East and the world as a whole are safer,” Maas told broadcaster ARD.
UN
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on the remaining parties to the Iran nuclear deal (JCPOA) to abide by their commitments after Trump’s decision.
“It is essential that all concerns regarding the implementation of the plan be addressed through the mechanisms established in the JCPOA. Issues not directly related to the JCPOA should be addressed without prejudice to preserving the agreement and its accomplishments,” Guterres said in a statement.
Europe
The French, British and German foreign ministers will meet Iranian representatives next week, France said.
“We will meet with my British and German colleagues on Monday, and also with representatives of Iran, to consider the entire situation,” French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told RTL radio.
The leaders of Britain, Germany and France said in a joint statement, “We urge the US to ensure that the structures of the JCPOA [deal] can remain intact, and to avoid taking action which obstructs its full implementation by all other parties to the deal.”
The bloc’s diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini said the EU is “determined to preserve” the Iran nuclear deal despite US withdrawal.
Mogherini made a direct appeal to the Iranian people and their leaders to stick with the accord.
Turkey
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, “This is not how international mechanisms work… cannot be annulled at will,” referring to the US decision. He said the US would be “the losers” after pulling out.
Turkey’s presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said, “The US decision to withdraw from the nuclear deal unilaterally will cause instability and new conflicts. The multilateral deal will continue with other countries. Turkey will continue with its steady stance against all kinds of nuclear weapons.”
Turkey’s presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin, May 8, 2018.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia says it “supports and welcomes” Trump’s decision, adding it had initially supported the nuclear accord in the belief there’s a need to limit the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East.
In a statement published on the state-run news agency, it said Iran, however, exploited the economic benefits of sanctions being lifted to continue destabilising activities in the region through the development of ballistic missiles and support for militias – issues not addressed in the accord.
Russia
Russia’s foreign ministry said it was “deeply disappointed” by US President Donald Trump’s decision, the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.
“There are no – and can be no – grounds for breaking the joint comprehensive action plan (JCPOA). The plan showed its full efficiency,” the ministry said. “The United States is undermining international trust in the International Atomic Energy Agency.”