Four militants killed in Kupwara gunfight: Army

Four militants killed in Kupwara gunfight: Army
  • 1

Para commandos rushed to the site, join operation

Srinagar, Mar 20: Four militants were reportedly killed in an ongoing gunfight at Check Halmatpora area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Tuesday.
Official sources said that four unidentified militants have been killed in the gunfight so far at Check Fatehkhan which is close to the forests of Halmatpora.
Amy’s Srinagar based defence spokesman Col Rajesh Kalia confirmed the killing of four militants in the operation and said that the operation was ongoing to trace out the other members of the militant group hiding in the area. SSP Kupwara said that nobody has been recovered so far as the area is a dense forest and firing was going on in the area.
Sources said that the militants were offering prayers when they were spotted close to the forests by the joint team including army and SOG who were acting on inputs about the movement of militants in the area.
However, before surrender offer could have been made, the two militants guarding them opened fire triggering off a gunfight.
Later, they dispersed and joined two militants in the gunfight. During the course of which four militants have been killed.
The sources said that the bodies could be seen but they were unable to retrieve them owing to continuous firing by the remaining militants from different locations, sources said.
Meanwhile, reinforcement of Para Commandos have been rushed to the area and they joined the operation. The forces, according to sources have also launched a cordon-and-search operation in the adjacent forest areas including Gulgam and Awoora- which is connecting the Halmathpora forests.
The joint team of forces has also installed searchlights in the area.
Earlier, a police officer had said that a joint team of army’s 41 RR and SOG launched a cordon-and-search operation following inputs about the movement of seven foreign militants.
As the joint team of forces intensified the searches, the militants hiding in the area opened fire, triggering off an encounter, the officer had said. (GNS)