Two militants killed in Khonmoh gunfight

Two militants killed in Khonmoh gunfight
  • 3

Srinagar, Mar 16: Two militants were killed and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper was injured in a fierce encounter by security forces in the wee hours on Friday in the outskirts of Srinagar, a police spokesman said.
A Cordoned and Search Operation (CASO) was launched at Balhama, Khanmoh, in the city outskirts Thursday after a group of militants attacked a Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Mohammad Anwar Khan and tried to snatch weapons from his two Personnel Security Officers (PSO). However, the PSOs repulsed the attack, he said adding militants opened fire in which a PSO identified as Bilal Ahmad was injured who was hospitalized. Khan escaped unhurt in the attack.
However, when the security forces were conducting searches in the area, militants hiding there opened fire with automatic weapons in which a CRPF trooper was injured, he said adding security forces also retaliated ensuing an encounter. Additional security forces were rushed and entire area was sealed to foil any militant attempt to escape. The CRPF trooper was admitted to 92 Army base hospital.
In the wee hours bodies of two militants were recovered near the encounter site, he said adding arms and ammunition besides incriminating materials were recovered near the encounter site. The operation has ended. The slain militants were identified by their families as Rasiq Nabi Bhat of Tral and Shabir Dar of Awantipora, he said. Spokesman said as per police records Bhat and Dar had joined militancy last year in the month of March and August respectively.
Meanwhile, thousands of people participated in the last rites of two slain militants at two different places in south Kashmir on Friday.
Two militants Shabir Ahmed of Aghanzpora Awantipora and Owais Ahmed Bhat of Navdal Tral were killed in a gunfight at Balhama area in the outskirts of Srinagar city.
Both the militants were laid to rest amid pro-freedom slogans. Both the militants belonged to Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind militant outfit, according to a senior police official.
Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed in Pulwama district to mourn these killings.
All shops and other commercial establishments remained closed while traffic remained off the roads. Large contingent of government forces personnel were deployed to maintain law and order across Pulwama town.
Amid heavy deployment, clashes erupted in several areas of Pulwama district.
Witnesses said that clashes erupted in Nawdal Tral after the burial of Owais Ahmad at his ancestral graveyard in the village.
Clashes also erupted at Aghanzpora, Padgampora while large number of youth pelted stones of Forces personnel who retaliated with tear smoke shelling.
At Murran chowk in main Pulwama town, according to eyewitnesses, youth took to streets and clashed with the forces deployed in the area to thwart protests.
Mobile Internet service continued to remain suspended on the second consecutive day in Awantipora on Friday.