Militant killed, cop injured in grenade blast in Tral, inquiry ordered

Militant killed, cop injured in grenade blast in Tral, inquiry ordered
  • 1


Tral, Feb 26: A Hizbul Mujhadeen militant was killed after unknown persons lobbed a grenade inside police station Tral.
A police official said that under custody militant Mushtaq Ahmed Chopan tried to escape from police custody while wearing a burqa. “As he reached the gate of police station, his unknown associate in a bid to divert the attention of the police lobbed a grenade that resulted in the death of the militant while a police constable Mehrajuddin also suffered injuries,” he said.
Chopan alias Haroon was arrested by government forces from Sopore town.
A police handout said that: “Today at 12:30 pm one Hizbul Mujahideen militant namely Mushtaq chopan who was in custody of Police Station Tral tried to escape from the police station wearing female burka .When he was near the main gate someone from outside lobbed a grenade as a part of the planned conspiracy to divert the attention so that he could escape conveniently. The grenade exploded inside the station nearby him resulting into death of the said detenue and injury to one Constable Mehraj Din.”
The handout added that the injured cop was shifted to army hospital whereas the dead body of the detenue was taken for autopsy. Magisterial enquiry has been initiated under Sec 176 crpc. The circumstances under which he was escaping are being looked into. Mushtaq Chopian was invoked in FIR no 55/2017 u/s 18, 20,38 ULAO PS Tral , FIR no 76/2017 u/s 302 Rpc 7/27 Arms act , 18,20 ULAP PS Tral.
Earlier, Mushtaq Chopan was apprehended by Sopore police and was involved in FIR vide number 10/2018 Under section, 7/27 Arms Act. Currently, he was wanted by Awantipora police.
Meanwhile, following the death of a Hizb militant locals at Tral town observed a complete shutdown.
All the shops and business establishment remained shut while transport too remained off the roads.
Meanwhile, police handed over the body to family. Reports said that youth pelted stones on the army vehicles in the native village of the militant who in retaliation fired couple of rounds in air. Large number of people participated in the last rites of the slain militant. (CNS)