Parliament shows Muslim Personal Law Board in poor light: Soz

Parliament shows Muslim Personal Law Board in poor light: Soz

 

Srinagar, Dec 29: Senior Congress leader and former union minister, Prof. Saifuddin Soz Friday said that Parliament’s declaration over Triple Talaq in one-go is criminal offence, stating that the All India Muslim Personal Law Board must do a serious thinking on its future.
According to a statement, Soz said that “I am one of those persons who tried to show utmost respect to All India Muslim Personal Law Board all these years, although I had serious reservations on the functioning of the Board. The Board had been functioning arbitrarily and totally undemocratically all these years, leaving the victim Muslim women to fend for themselves in courts, miserably and helplessly.”
“Now that the parliament has declared ‘Triple Divorce in one-go’ as criminal offence, the Board must do a serious thinking on its future,” he said.
He said that the Board must set its house in order by proving its representative character and adopting democratic and transparent methods in future.
“It is so tragic that the Board failed to take notice that Islamic countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, Turkey, Cyprus Tunisia, Algeria, Malaysia, Iran, Sri Lanka, Jordan, Indonesia, UAE, Qatar, Sudan, Morocco, Egypt, Iraq, Brunei had since declared triple divorce in one-go as un-Islamic,” he said.
Soz added that it is unfortunate that knowledgeable persons like Dr Tahir Mehmood, Salman Khursheed, Dr. Zaffarul Islam Khan, Moosa Raza and Zeenat Showkat Ali have never been made members of the Board. “I have a feeling that the Board could have adopted this reformative measure, along with other needed reforms, at least, two decades earlier,” he said. (KNS)