High Court asks Chautala to furnish wife’s medical reports for parole

High Court asks Chautala to furnish wife’s medical reports for parole

 

New Delhi, Dec 18: The Delhi High Court today asked Indian National Lok Dal chief Om Prakash Chautala, serving a ten-year jail term in a teachers’ recruitment scam, to substantiate his claim of seeking two-month parole to look after his ailing wife by producing her recent medical records.
Justice Mukta Gupta asked the counsel for Mr Chautala to place on record the medical details of the politician’s wife including diagnosis of her ailment and the treatment which she is said to be undergoing at a private hospital at Sirsa.
Senior advocate Sudhir Nandrajog and advocate Amit Sahni, appearing for former Haryana Chief Minister OP Chautala, said that the convict’s wife Sneh Lata is is critically ill and is admitted at a hospital in Sirsa, Haryana. The counsel submitted that she is admitted to the intensive care unit of the hospital.
The court listed the matter for further hearing on December 21.
The 82-year-old politician has said that he wanted to spend time with his wife “in her last days”.
The plea says the leader was last granted parole earlier this year and he was entitled to get parole as per parole and furlough guidelines, which stipulate that a minimum of six months should elapse after the date of termination of the previous parole.
The high court had on March 1 cancelled the parole granted to Mr Chautala on medical grounds and asked him to “surrender forthwith”, saying he “misled” it by feigning illness.
It had then said that Chautala was misusing his parole to attend public meetings.
OP Chautala, his son Ajay Chautala and three others are serving 10-year jail term in the teachers’ recruitment scam.
The Supreme Court in August 2015 had dismissed the Chautalas’ appeals against the high court verdict upholding their conviction and sentence of 10 years awarded by a trial court in the junior basic trained teachers recruitment scam case.
The father-son duo and 53 others, including two IAS officers, were among 55 persons convicted on January 16, 2013 by the trial court for illegally recruiting 3,206 Junior Basic Training teachers in Haryana in 2000.