12 workers charred to death in Mumbai shop fire

12 workers charred to death in Mumbai shop fire

 

Mumbai, Dec 18: At least 12 workers were killed and one injured when a massive fire broke out at a snack shop in Sakinaka-Kurla area in the early hours today, police said.
The blaze erupted in the Bhanu farsan (snack) shop in Makaria Compound on the Khairani Road at around 4.25 am following which the structure collapsed, a senior police official said.
As per the official, it is suspected that a short circuit, followed by LPG cylinder bylast triggered the fire.
At least 21 persons were inside the shop when the blaze erupted, he said, adding nine of them managed to escape, whereas 12 persons got trapped on the loft inside due to intense heat and smoke, he said.
The fire spread quickly due to the presence of electric wiring and electrical goods, huge stock of eatables and furniture inside the shop, the official said.
All the 12 workers were pulled out of the debris by fire brigade personnel and taken to the civic-run Rajawadi Hospital in suburban Ghatkopar where they were declared dead before admission, a civic official said.
Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone-10) Navinchandra Reddy told PTI that prime facie the fire started from the electrical switch board and it spread in the shop following which there was a LPG gas cylinder blast.
Police have called forensic science experts to ascertain the exact cause of the fire.
“We are also waiting for fire brigade report in this case. However, the procedure of registering an offence has been initiated. After enquiry we will register an offence against those who are responsible for the tragedy,” another police official said.