Kupwara search operation called off after seven days

Kupwara search operation called off after seven days
  • 7
    Shares

Srinagar, Nov 29: The week-long search operation launched by the government forces in Zurhama and Keran forests to nab the militants has been called off without success, police said on Wednesday.
The operation was launched in a vast area to nab the militants who attacked and killed two army soldiers and injured four others in Zurhama and Keran gunfights last week.
An official said the operation launched jointly by the army, police and central reserve police force in forests stretching from Zurhama Lolab to Keran has been called off.
The forces did not find any suspicious movement in the areas during the weeklong operation.
“We left nothing to chance and searched every nook and corner of the area to nab the militants but did not find any movement,” said the official.
Locals said that many mobile check-posts have been removed but thorough checking of private vehicles continues at vantage points.
Meanwhile, Senior Superintendent of Police Kupwara, Shamsher Hussain said that “nothing incriminating” was found during one of the longest searches launched in Kupwara forests.
“Therefore, the operation was called off,” he said.
A suspected militant was killed during the gunfight after army foiled an infiltration bid in Keran last week.
“Situation is largely peaceful and under control in areas where the searches were launched last week after encounters,” Hussain said.
An extensive and joint search operation was launched by the army, police and paramilitary CRPF, mostly in Kupwara forests following the encounters last week.
Zurhama residents said they were relieved to see the operation being called off peacefully.
“Thankfully, there was no further exchange of fire between the two sides. The forest area that remained under cordon is not too far from the village,” said Abdul Hamid, a local resident.