Argentina says it may have received signals from missing submarine

Argentina says it may have received signals from missing submarine

Argentina, Nov 19: Argentina’s Navy detected seven brief satellite calls that officials believe may have come from a submarine with 44 crew members that hadn’t been heard from in three days.
The communication attempts “indicate that the crew is trying to re-establish contact, so we are working to locate the source of the emissions,” the Navy said on its Twitter account, adding that the calls lasted between four and 36 seconds.
Argentine authorities clarified that it has not been confirmed the calls came from the submarine, the ARA San Juan, though that is the working hypothesis.
Earlier on Saturday, Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said the area being searched off the country’s southern Atlantic coast has been doubled as concerns about the fate of the submarine and its crew grew.
“We are not discounting any hypothesis,” Balbi said, adding that possibilities to explain the submarine’s disappearance include “a problem with communications” or with its power system.
Authorities last had contact with the German-built, diesel-electric sub on Wednesday as it was on a voyage from the extreme southern port of Ushuaia to Mar del Plata.
Argentine President Mauricio Macri said in a tweet that the country will use “all resources national and international that are necessary to find the submarine.”
Pledges of help came from Chile, Uruguay, Peru and Brazil, as well as the United States, which sent a NASA scientific aircraft and a Navy plane. Britain was sending a polar exploration vessel, the HMS Protector.
The U.S. Navy ordered its Undersea Rescue Command based in San Diego, California to deploy to Argentina to support the search for the submarine.